Developmental/Behavioral Health Screening Tools
AAP STAR Center
The Screening Technical Assistance & Resource Center (STAR Center) is a core component of the Screening in Practices Initiative, which seeks to improve the health, wellness, and development of children through practice and system-based interventions to increase rates of early childhood screening, counseling, referral, and follow-up for developmental milestones, maternal depression, and social determinants of health. Funded by a grant from The JPB Foundation, the Initiative is working toward a system of care in which every child receives the screening, referral, and follow-up needed to foster healthy development.
FRAMES Brief Intervention Guide
Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale (EPDS)
- Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale (EPDS) – English (PDF)
- Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale (EPDS) – Spanish (PDF)
- Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale (EPDS) – Scoring Instructions (PDF)
- Sample Signature Page for New Mothers Re: Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale (PDF)
- Sample Letter to Patient’s Doctor Re: Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale Results (PDF)
Pediatric Symptom Checklist 17 (PSC-17)
Pediatric Symptom Checklist 35 (PSC-35)
Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ)
The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ) is a brief behavioral screening questionnaire about 2-17 year olds. It exists in several versions to meet the needs of researchers, clinicians and educationalists. Learn more here.
Modified Patient Health Questionnaire
Screen for Child Anxiety Related Disorders (SCARED)
- GAD-7 Anxiety
- Screen for Child Anxiety Related Disorders (SCARED): Child Version (PDF)
- SCARED Child Version with Scoring (PDF)
- Screen for Child Anxiety Related Disorders (SCARED): Parent Version (PDF)
- SCARED Parent Version with Scoring (PDF)
- The SCARED is available for free through the University of Pittsburgh Department of Psychiatry: http://www.psychiatry.pitt.edu/research/tools-research/assessment-instruments
Global Appraisal of Individual Needs Short Screener (GAIN-SS)
- Click here to access the GAIN-SS through the TN Department of Mental Health (COMING SOON!)
- To learn more about the GAIN-SS, visit http://www.gaincc.org
Modified Checklist of Autism in Toddlers, Revised with Follow-Up (M-CHAT-R/F)
Screening tools available with purchase:
- Parents Evaluation of Developmental Status – Revised
- Ages and Stages Questionnaires – Social Emotional Looking for a free kit? Email Susan.Rollyson@tnaap.org to find out how.
- Ages and Stages Questionnaire 3rd Edition Looking for a free kit? Email Susan.Rollyson@tnaap.org to find out how.
- Early Childhood Screening Assessments – The Early Childhood Screening Assessments (ECSA) can be accessed through purchase of the AAP Mental Health Toolkit.